MSc in Civil Engineering
Required Credits/Units: 180
Educational aims of the programme:
The overall aim of the programme is to produce postgraduates who are able to develop into Chartered Engineers who are able to play a significant role as professional civil engineers. It aims to develop the skills needed by those who will take lead roles within the civil engineering profession. In particular, it aims to provide a route for a student with a B.Eng. in Civil or Structural Engineering to fulfil the learning requirements for Chartered Engineer status. The specific aims of the programme are:
1. To produce postgraduates who have a thorough understanding of civil engineering and a critical awareness of the current issues in the field, informed by the latest research.
2. To encourage students to develop their conceptual understanding of civil engineering to evaluate the latest research and design methodologies, and to develop their own methodologies.
3. To develop the students' awareness of the ethical issues of civil engineering and their responsibilities with regard to sustainable construction.
4. To offer experience in the planning and execution of an extended research project in the form of a dissertation.
5. To provide opportunities for students to develop subject specific skills, practical skills, cognitive skills and a range of high level transferable skills
Postgraduate Certificate Level
Advanced Structural Design and Bridge Engineering
Applied Finite Elements
Energy and Carbon Management
Postgraduate Diploma Level
Sustainable Construction and Innovation
Water and Wastewater Treatment
Postgraduate Award Level
The entry requirements for admission are:
- An accredited UK Honours degree with minimum 2.2 classification or international equivalent in a relevant subject area. Some related professional qualifications at the appropriate level supported by relevant industry experience may also be considered.
- Official transcripts from all universities, colleges and other post-secondary educational institutions attended.
- English Proficiency: IELTS (Academic) with an overall score of at least 6.0 (and no individual component lower than 5.5) or equivalent English language qualifications.
- Personal Statement (minimum 500 words) explaining why the programme interests the student, what makes the student a suitable candidate, how the programme will benefit the student's career progression and any relevant skills or work experience that will support the application.
- Up to date CV
- Two references (academic or professional) listed on CV stating referee’s full name, contact details, and relationship to the applicant.
Applications from non-standard applicants are welcome and will be considered individually.
* Entry requirements may vary depending on the programme of study.
MAMA in Leadership in Education
MA in Mass Communications
MA in International Relations
MA in Education
MA in Criminology and Social Policy
MA in Nursing
MA in Human Resource Management
LLMMaster of Laws
Post Graduate CertificatePostgraduate Certificate in Education (International)
MScMSc in Psychology
MSc in International Public Health
MSc in Digital Marketing
MSc in Computing and Information Systems
MSc in Project Management
MSc in Civil Engineering
MSc in International Transport, Trade and Logistics